Gigantes Plaki

I had some lima beans I wanted to use up, but I wanted to try something different with them. I decided to search for a new recipe to try. My search took me to a site with a lot of Egyptian recipes and gigantes plaki is the recipe I picked. I tweaked the recipe a little based on what I had in the house. The end result was delicious. I knew this would be loved at home as it has beans and tomatoes, both favorites.


This recipes could be made with other white beans as well. It would taste great as a dip with crackers or chips. I will definitely make this again.

You will need
1 cup lima beans, soaked and cooked (alternately used canned beans)
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
2 pods garlic, peeled and minced
3 large tomatoes
4-5 sprigs cilantro
salt and pepper to taste
feta cheese for garnish

If you are using dried beans, soak them overnight, pressure cook until tender but not mushy. To pressure cook add twice the quantity of water and cook for 10 minutes. Dice the onions, mince the garlic, chop the cilantro and shred the tomatoes.

Preheat the oven to 375F. In a pan heat the oil and add the onions and garlic. Saute for a few minutes and then add the tomatoes and half the cilantro. Let the mixture cook for a few minutes so it comes together as a sauce. Mix in the cooked beans and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to an oven safe dish and bake for 20-30 minutes.


Sprinkle the feta cheese and remaining cilantro.


Enjoy!


Comments

  1. This is one healthy dip. Finishing off the dish in the oven sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a healthy and delicious salad with beans. Looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting dish, bookmarking to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lima beans plaki looks very healthy and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nutritious gigantes plaki, i can have with some bread slices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a perfect side dish for rotis or bread.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting cooking method. Love the bean based dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. This looks very interesting Varada !

    ReplyDelete
  9. That salad looks very refreshing Varada..must have been good to dig in!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.