Caramelized Onions, Apple, Grilled Gouda and Brie Sandwich

Several months ago I read a status update from a friend on Facebook. She mentioned this sandwich, no picture. Just reading about it made my mouth water and I knew I had to make it. For months I have the title of this recipe in my grocery list on the phone. Finally I got a chance to make it when my daughter came home for a visit from college. This sandwich has so many layers of flavor, a new one hits you as you bite, chew and swallow.


I made these as a late tea/light dinner. You could make them any time of the day. I used red onions today and caramelized them on a medium high flame for over half an hour. They were sweet by the time I was done and tasted great on their own. I used Fuji apple to complement the onions. If you would like to use Granny Smith apples then I suggest you use sweet white/yellow onions. Either way you cannot go wrong.


The brie adds a creamy texture. Make sure you find a good source for the brie. I got brie imported from France at my local Whole Foods. I like the fact that they can cut you a slice as thick or thin as you want. I also got the Gouda at the same store. If using Granny Smith apples you could use sharp cheddar but please stay away from processed cheese.

You will need (4 sandwiches)
1 red onion
1 Fuji apple
8 slices of fresh country bread
1 block red wax covered gouda
1 small wedge brie
1/2 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. oil

Peel and slice the onion making sure the slices are no thinner than 1/4 inch. Heat oil in a pan and add the onion slices. Set the heat to a medium high and allow the onions to caramelize. Stir frequently and do not allow to burn. 


After about 30-40 minutes the onions will wilt and turn color. They will be sweet and caramelized. At this point you can turn off the heat and keep aside. They will stay good for a few hours. When ready to proceed or if assembling right away, add a small dollop of butter and combine on high heat. Turn off the heat and keep aside. 


Slice the apples and the cheese. Heat a pan, I used cast iron. If you have a panini press heat that too. Assemble each sandwich. First place a few pieces of brie on one of the slices.


Next layer the apples.


Then the caramelized onions. I used a little more than the picture shows.


Next add the gouda cheese.


Place the second slice over the top. Place a small dollop of butter on the heated pan and place the sandwich on it. If using the panini press place a dollop of butter on the sandwich and place the press. Alternately, wait for the first side to brown.


Flip it over and place your spatula over the top. Allow to brown completely. 


Take it off the heat and eat it while it is hot.


Enjoy!









This is my entry for week two, day one of BM #58 for the theme Tea Time snacks. Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#58.

Comments

  1. That sounds yummy and interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow apple and caramelized onions interesting flavors

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this sandwich makes me hungry, wat a fabulous ingredients went in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one amazing grilled cheese sandwich with so many different layers of flavors.. Too yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to make caramelized apple with cheese sandwiches, but this one is more mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The title alone made me hungry! Love these awesome looking sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds very delicious. I am going to try making it for my boys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting combo of apple, onions and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow now thats some sandwich!...sounds so interesting to mix onions and apple..not to mention the cheese..will have to make it sometime!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.