Roasted Vegetable Sliders / Baked Sandwiches

Sliders are sandwiches made with small buns. These delicious sliders are made with sourdough dinner rolls and stuffed with roasted vegetables. They are extremely flavorful and are usually gone very quickly. I remember the first time I made them. My daughter came running to the kitchen when she realized I was baking dinner rolls. I had not made pav bhaji for a few weeks and she thought I was making pav bhaji. When I told her what I was up to she was not very convinced she would like it even though she loves roasted vegetables and dinner rolls separately. I told her to try it before passing judgement. Once she tried this combo she loved it.


You can use any dinner rolls for these sliders. Remember to reduce the size of each bun when you bake them (about 70 gm, no more than 80 gm). The boursin cheese on the bottom prevents the rolls from getting soggy and adds a different classic flavor. If this cheese is not available where you live you can use butter.

You will need
10 dinner rolls
1 batch roasted vegetables
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
5 tbsp. boursin cheese (I used chives and garlic flavor)
1 tsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. dry basil

Prepare dinner rolls. You could make sourdough rolls, 50% whole wheat rolls or 100% whole wheat rolls. You could also use store bought rolls. Prepare roasted vegetables as per these directions.


Preheat oven to 350 F. Shred the cheese and keep aside. Work with 5 or 6 rolls at a time. Without breaking them apart slice the rolls in half. Remove the top half and keep aside. On the bottom half apply boursin cheese and place on a baking tray. Arrange all the buns on the tray with sides touching each other. Though the pictures here are of a smaller batch I have made up to 15 buns in a single batch.


Add the roasted vegetables liberally. Don't worry if they form a layer overlapping the buns. It will all work out.


Add the shredded cheese. Cover with the top half. Brush the oil on the top and sprinkle crushed basil over it.


Bake for 15 minutes covered with foil. Then bake open for another 15 minutes or until the cheese melts.



Pull apart and enjoy them hot out of the oven!



Comments

  1. Omg, these sliders sounds prefect for me to finish my dinner happily, too healthy and filling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Varada, your clicks are making me very very hungry -- I just had my dinner and am getting ready to sleep, but still I'm hungry. I'm definitely trying these baked roasted veggie sandwiches very very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an interesting recipe Varada, yes you are making us so hungry with your pictures..wish I could just make them right now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is interesting! Never had these but i bet they wd be flavourful .. One point is if u r baking already baked buns for that long, almost 25/30 mins won't they get hard or brittle ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Use good quality buns and you will not have a problem. There is a lot of moisture in the veggies that create steam in the covered dish for the first 15 minutes. The next few minutes ensure the buns are beautifully toasted.

      Delete
  5. I am not surprised you nephew placed an order for these sliders. Sliders are tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh varada, seriously these are some awesome hatke bakes, lovely!! These are totally tempting!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.