Venezuelan Meal

I cannot believe I was stumped on what I should cook from Venezuela. This was one of the most delicious meals I have cooked. All three dishes were tasty, unique and very good.


For the main dish I decided to make Pasticho Venezolano or Venezuelan lasagna. This lasagna is not vegetarian. I made it vegetarian with the use of crumbled paneer. I retained the rest of the recipe which calls for béchamel sauce layered along with the lasagna noodles, fresh mozzarella cheese and the prepared paneer mixture. Simply delicious!


I paired this with salsa carioca, a simple salad made with tomatoes , onions, avocado and hard boiled eggs. The salad is dressed with a simple oil and vinegar dressing that has hot pepper sauce added to give it a nice kick. For dessert I made Besitos de coco, coconut cookies, that browned beautifully. They were crispy on the outside and moist on the inside. The entire meal was very satisfying both to cook and to eat.


I did not use any new ingredients in this meal. The addition of the béchamel sauce to the lasagna was very interesting as was the addition of hot pepper sauce to the salad dressing. My father who is visiting is not particularly fond of tomatoes. Both the main and side dish have tomatoes in them. But the tomatoes do not overpower the dish, merely flavor it and so he was able to enjoy the meal too.

As they say in Venezuela, Buen Provecho!

Here are the recipes for the dishes on the menu
And for dessert


Comments

  1. Well planned meal, heavy entree with simple salad and a light dessert. Good to know everyone enjoyed the meal, including your father who is not fond of tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Everything looks inviting. Especially those cookies and I would surly love to try this lasagna later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those scrumptious cookies and that cheesy Pasticho Venezolano are just inviting me.. Again a beautiful meal, one can happily have a filling meal definitely with these beautiful dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pasticho Venezolano looks so so delicious perfect inviting platter :) looks very inviting !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The meal looks filling as well as satisfying. Pasticho Venezolano..wow what a stylish name..:)).. I simply loved it. Awesome

    ReplyDelete
  6. Surely very tempting dishes put together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in love with that cheese covered lasagna -- hopping over to that post right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice meal Varada and you always put together the dishes in a very beautiful way...

    ReplyDelete
  9. this lasagna looks so luscious and cheesy..wow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful meal, and lovely recipe collection

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow this is yum. I must make it for my girls.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice collection of recipes. I bet each recipe must have tasted marvelous.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.