Alu Kauli Ko Tarkari (Nepali Potato Cauliflower Bhaji)

This version of the Nepali cauliflower and potato dry tarkari is very similar to the side I make. The spices used are a little different but the main ingredients cauliflower, potato and peas are the same.


I made this as part of the Nepali meal. Nobody in the house thought it was very different from what I normally make. I usually don't make the same recipe twice, I always tweak something. So they thought this was another variation.

Recipe adapted from here
You will need
1 cauliflower
2 potatoes
handful peas
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp. asafoetida
1 dried red chili pepper
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
2 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
3 tomatoes, chopped

Clean the cauliflower, break it up into florets and keep aside. Peel and dice the potato into cubes. If using frozen peas do not thaw them.

Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. When they crackle add the bay leaf, asafeotida and red chili pepper. Next add the ginger garlic paste and tomatoes. When tomatoes are mushy add the potatoes, cauliflower and peas. Add salt and paprika to taste.


Add a little water and cook the vegetables until completely cooked but not mushy.

Enjoy with poli or rice.

Comments

  1. I make potato cauliflower like this minus hing and bay leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the Nepali food is no different than ours, so actually everyone in my family had similar thoughts...I too made the same Aaloo gobhi:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. simple and delicious, nice aloo gobhi dish

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this simple and delicious curry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. another familiar curry..love this veg combo always

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.