Hungarian Ring Bread

Hungarian ring bread is made for special occasions like weddings. There are seven rings, one on the outside and six on the inside, that intertwine with no apparent start or end. I have always wanted to try this bread and have had it on my wishlist for a very long time.


I made a decorative bread without sourdough after a long time. I am now used to sourdough and its long rise times. I let this bread rise a little longer than I should have before I shaped it. The end result was a delicious flavorful bread that was not exactly suitable for shaping. The dough kept rising. I am glad the shapes are still visible and did not blend into each other completely.


The bread was pretty easy to shape and I always have fun when I am playing with dough.

You will need
500 gm bread flour
40 gm sugar
37 gm egg yolks
70 gm whole eggs
37 gm vegetable oil
160 gm water
7 gm salt
15 gm fresh yeast


Combine the wet ingredients in a mixing bowl. Sift the flours and add all the dry ingredients. Combine to form a soft dough. Knead well until the dough is elastic and smooth. Cover and keep aside until it doubles in volume. Divide into 7 pieces, 6 small (~70 gm) and one large (~ 300 gm). If you want to decorate it put a little dough aside before you divide into above mentioned portions.


Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll the large portion into a rope and shape as a ring. Place it on the prepared sheet.


Shape the other portions as ropes. Intertwine as shown in the picture.


If you want you can add a few decorations.


Cover in egg wash and let it sit for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 F. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Cool on a rack.


Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Wooho...this is so so cool..love the way you play with dough..amazing. .must say you are a thorough pro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that's such a beautiful design on the bread Varada, very lovely to see..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful bread, Varada!! Hats off to your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just gorgeous is under estimation, actually searching for the word, love the way you have fun with bread doughs, u rock.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely bread! It mush have been so much fun shaping those rings and intertwining the bread. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowo what a cool bread Varada. I want to try this :D only hope I have the patience. Can you transfer some to me.please just for this bread.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.