Khichadi with a twist (with Toor Dal)

After a long week at work I am always looking for quick fixing meals for the weekend. Khichadi was a favorite. And then a couple years ago we visited my sister and she made khichadi with puliogere masala. It was so yummy I don't make it any other way since.

I always used mung dal in my khichadi just like my mother did. Last year my sister-in-law visited us for a few days. She told me she uses toor dal in khichadi. It tastes very different from the mung dal khichadi. Now I do it either way.

Today I made the khichadi with toor dal and served it with hot kadhi and papad.


You will need
1 cup basmati rice
3/4 cup toor dal
1 cup peas (I used frozen, not thawed)
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. mustard seeds
1 tsp. turmeric powder
a pinch asafetida (hing)
1 tsp. tamarind paste
3 tbsp. puliogere masala (I use MTR)
1 tbsp. Madhava agave nectar (in place of sugar)

Wash the rice and dal. Drain the water and let it rest for 15 minutes.


Heat a large thick bottomed pan. Add the olive oil and mustard seeds. When the seeds begin to crackle add the asafetida and turmeric powder followed by the peas. Let them cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes.


Now add the puliogere masala, the nectar and the tamarind paste to the peas. Mix it well and let it cook for a few minutes.


Add the rice and dal mix to the peas. Add salt to taste. Increase the heat to high and let it sizzle a little.


Lower the heat to medium high. Add 6 cups of water and let it come to a boil.


When the rice begins to boil mix it through, lower the heat to medium, cover and let it cook covered for 25 minutes. No peaking!


After 25 minutes, check for presence of liquid in the rice, cover and cook for another 15 minutes. Take off cover and let it cook uncovered till all the water has evaporated. Toor dal takes longer to cook than mung dal and also needs more water.

Comments

  1. Even I use moong dal in my khihdi only but I guess we can always try it with a twist.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.